Transaction day change?

This is an open forum for anything related to the Dream Team Baseball League.

Transaction day change?

Postby Kevin » Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:53 pm

In case you haven't heard, MLB made a small change to their regular season schedule for the upcoming season. The season will start on Thursday/Friday rather than the traditional Monday/Tuesday. On the tail end, the regular season will end on a Wednesday rather than Sunday. Therefore, the regular season will start about a half week earlier than usual. The reason for the change is to try to make sure the World Series doesn't run into November like it has the last couple years.

With this being the case, we need to decide if we want to make a change to our weekly transaction deadline. If we are going to make a change, I think the most logical switch would be to make transactions due on Wednesday night to be processed on Thursday. So the transaction week would run from Thursday through Wednesday instead of Monday through Sunday.

I would also like to propose that if we keep the deadline as is, on Sunday night, that the final transaction date of the year will be the second to last Sunday night. That would keep it as a 26 week season and would reduce the likelihood of a mad dash to scoop of the few free agent pitchers scheduled to get a start in the last couple days of the season. I don't think this would be a big deal for the shortened first week.

Personally, I could go either way with this. On one hand, moving the deadline to Wednesday seems to make sense to keep the schedule at a consistent 26 full weeks. But on the flip side, the end of the weekend has always seemed to be a good time to evaluate your team and make sure you are all set for the upcoming week.

I'd appreciate as much input on this as possible. We're not going to take a democratic vote, but I will take everyone's opinion into consideration. You could simply reply with a "Wednesday" or a "Sunday" as the day you wish the DTBL week to end, but I would prefer a little more information than that.

Thanks.
Kevin
Commissioner

Re: Transaction day change?

Postby Marc » Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:44 pm

I prefer keeping a Sunday deadline. I think it would be strange to update mid-week
Marc
Major Leaguer

Postby Nick » Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:00 pm

Prefer Sunday deadline as well.
Nick
Major Leaguer

Postby Charlie » Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:17 pm

I'd like to stick with Sunday.
Charlie
Little Leaguer

Postby Kevin » Sun Feb 20, 2011 12:52 pm

So far, the consensus seems to be Sunday. Please continue to post your opinion if you haven't done so already, but in the mean time, are those of you who are pushing for the Sunday deadline on board with my proposal of making the last transaction date the second to last Sunday so we can avoid a three day "week" at the end of the season?
Kevin
Commissioner

Postby Mike » Sun Feb 20, 2011 3:01 pm

I think if the season starts on Thursday, the transaction deadline should be Wednesday. Even weeks are better.
Mike
Major Leaguer

Postby David » Mon Feb 21, 2011 12:17 pm

I'm going to vote Wednesday as well. Not only does that eliminate at least two partial weeks at the beginning and end of the season, it also helps in two other ways in my opinion:

1. Personally, I find that there are at least a few weekends every season, usually when I am on vacation and/or coming back from out of town and have been out of the loop for a few days, that it is extremely inconvenient to have to try and catch up on the latest news/injuries and get picks in late on Sunday night. It's always fun to put in picks that way and realize on Monday that one of your best players is day-to-day or out for the week. There is a much lesser chance of this sort of thing being an issue midweek.

2. When the trade deadline begins to roll around, I find myself trying to negotiate deals close to the weekly transaction deadlines (so as to begin reaping theoretical rewards ASAP... I think this is probably true for most of us). In my experience, people seem to be more apt to respond / discuss trades via email on weekdays than they are on weekends. Often, I'll be going back and forth with someone on Thursday and Friday, then one of us will "disappear" over the weekend, and then the missing person will begin discussing things again on Monday when it's "too late" to make something happen until the following week and the momentum of the discussion is gone. Maybe it's just me, but it seems like people are more likely to keep conversations going during the week, which makes a Wednesday transaction deadline a bit more amenable to trading.

Lastly, my guess is that most people who don't really care one way or the other may prefer to keep the deadline on Sunday night in part because they are afraid they will forget a Wednesday night deadline since it seems so arbitrary by comparison. In response to that, I remind you that we have a very conscientious commissioner who would surely send out more than enough reminder emails to keep us all in line.
David
Little Leaguer

Postby Marc » Mon Feb 21, 2011 1:05 pm

Dave makes some good points. He has swayed my opinion. I'm good with mid-week updates
Marc
Major Leaguer

Postby Dom » Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:26 pm

I'm good with mid-week updates.
Dom
Little Leaguer

Postby Jay » Sun Mar 06, 2011 7:24 pm

Mid-week is fine with me.
Jay
Little Leaguer