2011 Player Adds/Drops

This is an open forum for anything related to the Dream Team Baseball League.

2011 Player Adds/Drops

Postby Kevin » Sun Feb 20, 2011 12:38 pm

Thanks for waiting patiently for me to put together the list of players who will be on the 2011 DTBL roster. As always, I encourage discussion on this. Please let me know if you think I am forgetting someone who should be in the league. It is also helpful if you point out a player or two whom I could drop for the guy you are suggesting. There is one particular player for which I am interested in getting input, but I'll reply to this post myself to get that started. The official roster will be posted on the web site later this week.

Here are the players that will be added and dropped for the upcoming season:

Catchers
Added:
J.P. Arencibia, Ryan Hanigan, John Jaso, Jonathan LuCroy, Buster Posey, Humberto Quintero, Carlos Santana, Josh Thole, Yorvit Torrealba
Dropped:
John Baker, Jesus Flores, Gerald Laird, Lou Marson, Bengie Molina, Dioner Navarro, Taylor Teagarden, J.R. Towles, Gregg Zaun

First Basemen
Added:
Daric Bartin, Ike Davis, Kila Ka'aihue, Mitch Moreland, Gabby Sanchez, Justin Smoak, Ty Wigginton
Dropped:
Hank Blalock, Jorge Cantu, Chris Davis, Ryan Garko, Travis Hafner, Todd Helton, Mike Jacobs, Nick Johnson, Casey Kotchman, Daniel Murphy

Second Basemen
Added:
Mike Aviles, Reid Brignac, Danny Espinosa, Omar Infante, Sean Rodriguez, Neil Walker
Dropped:
Clint Barmes, Luis Castillo, Akinori Iwamura, Felipe Lopez, Kazuo Matsui

Third Basemen
Added:
Pedro Alvarez, David Freese, Chris Johnson, Danny Valencia
Dropped:
Garrett Atkins, Mark DeRosa, Pedro Feliz, Andy LaRoche, Mike Lowell, Mark Teahen, Brandon Wood

Shortstops
Added:
Yuniesky Betancourt, Alexi Casilla, Starlin Castro, Alex Gonzalez, Jerry Hairston, Juan Uribe
Dropped:
Everth Cabrera, Christian Guzman, Brendan Harris, Brendan Ryan

Outfielders
Added:
Jose Bautista, Roger Bernadina, Peter Bourjos, Michael Brantley, Domonic Brown, Lorenzo Cain, Tyler Colvin, Jonny Gomes, Jason Heyward, Austin Jackson, Matt Joyce, Logan Morrison, David Murphy, Angel Pagan, Scott Podsednik, Ryan Raburn, Mike Stanton, Jose Tabata, Andres Torres, Will Venable
Dropped:
Rick Ankiel, Kyle Blanks, Milton Bradley, Melky Cabrera, Mike Cameron, Jack Cust, Matt Diaz, Elijah Dukes, Jermaine Dye, Jeff Francouer, Ken Griffey, Conor Jackson, Matt LaPorta, Lastings Milledge, Nolan Reimold, Juan Rivera, Aaron Rowand

Starting Pitchers
Added:
Dallas Braden, Madison Bumbarner, Fausto Carmona, Brett Cecil, Jhoulys Chacin, R.A. Dickey, Jaime Garcia, Jon Garland, Gio Gonzalez, Jeremy Hellickson, Daniel Hudson, Ian Kennedy, Colby Lewis, Shaun Marcum, James McDonald, Brandon Morrow, Carl Pavano, Mike Pelfrey, Anibal Sanchez, Edinson Volquez, Jake Westbrook, Travis Wood, Jordan Zimmermann
Dropped:
Erik Bedard, Nick Blackburn, Joba Chamberlain, Aaron Cook, Kevin Corriea, Scott Feldman, Aaron Harang, Rich Harden, Scott Kazmir, Paul Maholm, John Maine, Jason Marquis, Pedro Martinez, Justin Masterson, Daisuke Matsuzaka, Kevin Millwood, Brad Penny, Andy Pettitte, Rick Porcello, Joe Saunders, Ben Sheets, Brandon Webb, Randy Wells, Chris Young, Barry Zito

Relief Pitchers
Added:
John Axford, Matt Belisle, Joaquin Benoit, Aroldis Chapman, Tyler Clippard, Kyle Farnsworth, Clay Hensley, Kenley Jansen, Craig Kimbrel, Hong-Chih Kuo, Kyle McClellan, Jake McGee, Evan Meek, Jason Motte, Alexi Ogando, Joel Peralta, Arthur Rhodes, Chris Sale, Tim Stauffer, Drew Storen, Hisanori Takahashi, Koji Uehara, Jonny Venters
Dropped:
Jeremy Affeldt, Ronald Belisario, Todd Coffey, Pedro Feliciano, Jason Frasor, LaTroy Hawkins, Trevor Hoffman, J.P. Howell, Jim Johnson, Matt Lindstrom, Mike MacDougal, Peter Moylan, Chad Qualls, Ramon Ramirez, David Robertson, George Sherrill, Ramon Troncoso, Billy Wagner, Dan Wheeler, Michael Wuertz, Joel Zumaya
Kevin
Commissioner

Re: 2011 Player Adds/Drops

Postby Kevin » Sun Feb 20, 2011 12:48 pm

Without a doubt, the toughest decision I had to make this year was what to do with Stephen Strasburg. Normally, I don't add players that are expected to miss most/all of a season due to injury. Sometimes I will keep those type of players in the league if they were already there, but adding a new player like this might be unprecedented.

I probably should have inquired about Strasburg last fall before people were worried about tipping their hand with their thoughts. Clearly, he was one of the most anticipated additions to the league prior to his injury. But is adding him for this season unfair to the teams at the bottom of the standings? Those teams are obviously in need of immediate help and may not be willing to waste their first pick on a guy who won't help improve their team this year. Conversely, the teams at the top of the standings can probably afford to "waste" a pick on someone like him.

The pool for starting pitching was especially deep this year. I wound up dropping a lot of guys I normally would have kept and there are also several players who were not added that I think were very deserving of a spot. Should I add one of them instead of Strasburg and save him for next year?

If you would prefer not to share your opinion of the Strasburg situation publicly, feel free to email me directly.
Kevin
Commissioner

Postby Nick » Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:00 am

I'm OK with adding Strasburg. It adds a wild card element that we usually don't get and could make the first few rounds more interesting.

Also Marc told me he really wants Chris Davis to stick around. He thinks he could have a big year!
Nick
Major Leaguer

Postby Marc » Mon Feb 21, 2011 12:59 pm

I'll have to settle for taking Jonny Gomes in the first round, again
Marc
Major Leaguer

Postby Kevin » Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:26 pm

After consulting several league members, I have decided to drop Strasburg from the list. Since he would add virtually nothing to a team this season, I don't think it makes a lot of sense to add him now. If anything, the teams that would benefit the most from his inclusion would have been the teams picking late in the first round because even if Strasburg didn't fall to them, one more quality player would. The idea of the draft, particularly the first round, is to give the advantage to the teams who finished at the bottom of the standings. Now, Strasburg will be something to look forward to next year instead.

To fill that extra starting pitching slot, I've decided to keep Joe Blanton in the league. It was a tough call because there are a lot of guys I would like to put in, but Blanton is one of a few names I received in my conversations with you guys.

Unless I receive any more suggestions, the rest of the list will remain the same. I'm working on getting the full draft roster posted in the next day or two. It will be a very short turn-around for the draft because I'd like to get that started this upcoming weekend.
Kevin
Commissioner

Postby Nick » Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:27 am

That's cool. For the record I had no intention of drafting Strasburg.

I would, however, be open to trading my top pick (no.9 overall) if any one is looking to double up on first rounders. Send me a message if you're interested and we can work something out.

Nick
Nick
Major Leaguer

Return to DTBL Discussion