Intoducing DTBL Live!

This is an open forum for anything related to the Dream Team Baseball League.

Intoducing DTBL Live!

Postby Kevin » Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:51 am

I am excited to announce a new feature that has just been added to the web site. It is something I've had on my to-do list for quite some time, but I finally started executing the plan a couple weeks ago. The new feature is a semi-live stat tracker. You can view current daily stats for all of your players by selecting a team from the "Live" menu up top.

I'm not going to get into the technical details on how this works, but if you are interested, I'd love to discuss it offline. Basically, a program will run at about 10 a.m. ET each morning to wipe clean the previous days stats. Then, from noon through 3 a.m. ET, another program will run to retrieve live stats. At the moment, I have it set to run every 15 minutes. Assuming it seems to be working well, I plan to drop that to 10 minute intervals next week with an ultimate goal of every 5 minutes. I need to make sure I'm not raising any red flags with my host or the data source, which is why I'm starting with the 15 minute plan.

This is still a work in progress. At the moment, only stats grouped by team are available. Ultimately, I want to incorporate a live standings tracker too, and add more information to the live pages like additional game information (opponent, score, inning). But I didn't want to wait to add the feature since I think it is pretty useful as is. It could be a huge time saver for you too since you won't need to pour through all of the MLB box scores to see how your guys are doing in a given day.

Finally, I am out of town this weekend. So I apologize if something goes wrong with this. If so, it won't be fixed until Monday at the earliest. I should also mention that I have set this up to be completely separate from all of the other "official" team stats. The data is stored in different tables. The regular standings/stats will still be updated just once a day at the normal time (~8:30 a.m.).
Kevin
Commissioner

Return to DTBL Discussion