Suspended Games

This is an open forum for anything related to the Dream Team Baseball League.

Suspended Games

Postby Kevin » Fri Sep 05, 2014 12:59 pm

There have been two instances of suspended games in the past week: one a completion of a game suspended earlier this year (Giants/Rockies) and another being a game suspended on Sunday to be resumed later this month (Indians/Royals). So this would probably be a good time to put our league rules for suspended games in writing, particularly since we handle them differently than most fantasy sites.

In case you don't know what a suspended game is, generally, it is a game that is halted after becoming official (5+ innings) with the score tied or the visiting team leading after having taken the lead in the top half of the last played inning. When a game is suspended, it is resumed from the exact point of the game at a later date, as opposed to a postponed game, which is replayed in its entirety. Stats accumulated in a suspended game immediately count towards a players' full-season stats, so that home run Hunter Pence hit during the suspended game back in May has been included in his yearly stats for months now.

Most fantasy sites will retroactively apply stats accumulated during the resumption of suspended games to the date in which the game was originally scheduled. So, for instance, the save recorded by Santiago Casilla on Monday afternoon would only be awarded to a team if they had him in their lineup back on May 22. However, this would be a logistic nightmare for me since my program is only looking at the cumulative full season stats and the current active rosters. I would have to manually modify all of the stats to accommodate these exceptions. And not just once... every day, my program would produce the wrong numbers without manual intervention. So the way this works in our league is that stats accumulated in the resumption of a suspended game will count towards teams who have those players in their lineup at the time the game is resumed, while the previously accumulated stats continue to count towards the teams who had those players active when the game began. This means, conceivably, a player could have some stats that count and others that do not from the same game, if their roster status has changed.

The only major problem I see with the way suspended games are handled in this league is that it is possibly to exploit the system to get a cheap win or save. Sunday's suspended Indians/Royals game provides the perfect example. The Indians scored a pair of runs in the top of the 10th to take a 4-2 lead before the game was suspended. So when the game resumes in a few weeks, Cody Allen will be three outs away from recording a win. Now, this isn't a problem in our league since the Mavericks already have Allen in their lineup and presumably won't bench him between now and then. But it does expose an example of how the system could be exploited.

These situations are so exceedingly rare that I don't see a major problem with our rules. But it's best to be transparent, so there you go. Let me know if you have any questions or concerns.
Kevin
Commissioner

Return to DTBL Discussion