2017 Player Adds/Drops

This is an open forum for anything related to the Dream Team Baseball League.

2017 Player Adds/Drops

Postby Kevin » Sun Feb 26, 2017 2:50 pm

I have completed the first draft of my 2017 DTBL player roster. Before I get to the add/drop lists, I should mention I made a couple changes to the number of total players on the league roster at a couple positions. Now that I have better data in terms of player usage by position, I determined that we probably should have a couple more middle infielders on the league roster. So I have dropped two catching slots and moved them to one additional player at second base and an extra shortstop as well. I know we had practically no decent options in the middle infield at the end of the last season, so hopefully this change helps a little bit.

A quick explanation for one of the decisions I had to make below. Eric Thames is returning to MLB after five years of playing in Asia. In his most recent MLB season (2012) he only played outfield. However, he is expected to be strictly a 1B for the Brewers, so that is the position where I have placed him. Plus, I had a much more difficult time filling 1B slots than OF this year anyway.

Without further ado, here are the players who will be added to, and removed from, the league roster for the upcoming season. Please reply with any comments. I hope to finalize this list by the end of the week.

Catchers
Added:
Jorge Alfaro, Jett Bandy, Willson Contreras, Austin Hedges, Sandy Leon, Martin Maldonado, Tom Murphy, Gary Sanchez, Andrew Susac, Tony Wolters, Mike Zunino
Dropped:
Alex Avila, Curt Casali, Robinson Chirinos, Hank Conger, Caleb Joseph, Miguel Montero, J.R. Murphy, Dioner Navarro, Carlos Perez, Josh Phegley, A.J. Pierzynski, Jarrod Saltalamacchia, Kurt Suzuki, Blake Swihart

First Basemen
Added:
Josh Bell, Greg Bird, Tommy Joseph, Mike Napoli, Steve Pearce, Eric Thames, Kennys Vargas, Dan Vogelbach
Dropped:
Pedro Alvarez, Billy Butler, Prince Fielder, Ryan Howard, Adam LaRoche, Adam Lind, Logan Morrison, David Ortiz, Ben Paulsen, Mark Teixeira

Second Basemen
Added:
Jedd Gyorko, Cesar Hernandez, Ryan Schimpf, Tyler Saladino
Dropped:
Corey Spangenberg

Third Basemen
Added:
Alex Bregman, Yulieski Gurriel, Ryon Healy, Jake Lamb, Yoan Moncada, Eduardo Nunez, Jose Ramirez, Yangervis Solarte
Dropped:
Matt Duffy, Yunel Escobar, Chase Headley, Brett Lawrie, Trevor Plouffe, Alex Rodriguez, Pablo Sandoval, Luis Valbuena, Danny Valencia, David Wright

Shortstops
Added:
Tim Anderson, Orlando Arcia, Zack Cozart, Aledmys Diaz, Danny Espinosa, Freddy Galvis, Jose Peraza, Jorge Polanco, Trevor Story, Dansby Swanson, Jonathan Villar
Dropped:
Erick Aybar, J.J. Hardy, Adeiny Hechavarria, Jose Iglesias, Jhonny Peralta, Alexei Ramirez, Jose Reyes, Jimmy Rollins

Outfielders
Added:
Andrew Benintendi, Keon Broxton, David Dahl, Brandon Drury, Adam Duvall, Mitch Haniger, Travis Jankowski, Aaron Judge, Max Kepler, Manuel Margot, Nomar Mazara, Tyler Naquin, Roman Quinn, Hunter Renfroe, Scott Schebler, Andrew Toles
Dropped:
Norichika Aoki, Billy Burns, Rusney Castillo, Chris Colabello, Delino DeShields, Andre Either, Anthony Gose, Josh Hamilton, Aaron Hicks, Austin Jackson, Desmond Jennings, Angel Pagan, Gerardo Parra, Colby Rasmus, Ben Revere

Starting Pitchers
Added:
Tyler Anderson, Dylan Bundy, Alex Cobb, Jharel Cotton, Danny Duffy, Michael Fulmer, Lucas Giolito, Tyler Glasnow, Jon Gray, Junior Guerra, Jeremy Hellickson, Rich Hill, Lance Lynn, Kenta Maeda, Sean Manaea, Daniel Norris, Ivan Nova, Drew Pomeranz, Robbie Ray, Tanner Roark, Aaron Sanchez, Ervin Santana, Matt Shoemaker, Tyler Skaggs, Blake Snell, Jameson Taillon, Julio Urias, Vince Vazquez
Dropped:
Clay Buchholz, Andrew Cashner, Patrick Corbin, R.A. Dickey, Nathan Eovaldi, Jose Fernandez, Mike Fiers, Jaime Garcia, Kyle Gibson, Jesse Hahn, Andrew Heaney, Derek Holland, Phil Hughes, Scott Kazmir, Mike Leake, Wade Miley, Shelby Miller, Jimmy Nelson, Eduardo Rodriguez, Hyun-Jin Ryu, Anibal Sanchez, Luis Severino, James Shields, Yordano Ventura, Edinson Volquez, Zack Wheeler, Alex Wood

Relief Pitchers
Added:
Kyle Barraclough, Cameron Bedrosian, Matt Bush, Mauricio Cabrera, Carter Capps, Tony Cingrani, Alex Colome, Grant Dayton, Edwin Diaz, Ryan Dull, C.J. Edwards, Neftali Feliz, Jeanmar Gomez, Greg Holland, Daniel Hudson, Jim Johnson, Shawn Kelley, Brandon Kintzler, Michael Lorenzen, Hector Neris, Seung Hwan Oh, Adam Ottavino, David Phelps, Matt Strahm, Tyler Thornburg, Blake Treinen
Dropped:
Brad Boxberger, Brett Cecil, Jumbo Diaz, Yimi Garcia, Jason Grilli, David Hernandez, J.J. Hoover, J.P. Howell, Kevin Jepsen, Keone Kela, Mark Lowe, Jake McGee, Jason Motte, Jonathan Papelbon, Kevin Quackenbush, Chad Qualls, Sergio Romo, Bryan Shaw, Kevin Siegrist, Carson Smith, Joe Smith, Will Smith, Joakim Soria, Pedro Strop, Shawn Tolleson, Tom Wilhelmson, Justin Wilson
Kevin
Commissioner

Re: 2017 Player Adds/Drops

Postby Nick » Thu Mar 02, 2017 11:27 pm

Hey Kevin. Looks good! Thanks for putting it together. Sandoval might be worth keeping if he's starting for the Red Sox, though it's hard to argue for him above any of the new 3B. At pitcher did Daniel Norris get consideration? I'd probably rather see him in over Big Erv.
Nick
Major Leaguer

Postby Kevin » Fri Mar 03, 2017 10:19 am

Nick, thanks for the feedback. Third base was unquestionably the position that I had the most difficulty with this year. If you look at the list of guys I dropped, virtually all of them would have been retained most years, including Sandoval. I'll see what I can do, but it will probably take an unfortunate injury to another player this weekend for me to squeeze him in. Norris was definitely among the first few pitchers who didn't make the list. I'll take another look this weekend and see if I can get him in.
Kevin
Commissioner

Postby Mike » Fri Mar 03, 2017 2:30 pm

Since I like Nick's idea of posting comments so everyone can see them, here's my two cents:

First, I'm sure Greg will continue to be disappointed at the lack of Raul Casanova in DTBL.

I'm a little surprised to see Jose Reyes on the cut list (isn't he starting for the Mets?), but that might be more of an indication at how fast he's fallen than anything.

Also surprised to see Shelby Miller on the drop list for pitchers. I know last year was terrible for him, but he's still only 26 and may bounce back.

The other missing pitchers would be guys like Carson Fulmer or Jose De Leon, but I'm guessing they'd probably just be borderline viable in this format.
Mike
Major Leaguer

Postby Kevin » Fri Mar 03, 2017 2:59 pm

Mike, thanks for the comments. Yeah, I think it is best to discuss these adds/drops in the open so everyone can chime in. Sure, it may give a hint to others that you are interested in certain players. But we're really only talking about guys who would be late round picks, at best.

For Jose Reyes, see my comments re: Sandoval. Same deal for him. He'd still be on the league roster if he was SS eligible. But he'd need to move to 3B and there just isn't any room at that position. It does appear he'll be the Mets everyday 3B, but only because it looks like Wright's health has created an opening again.

Shelby Miller had the second worst ERA in all of baseball last year among pitchers with 100+ IP. He really hasn't been a particularly valuable fantasy contributor since 2013. Yes, there is hope for him to get his career back on track, but let's see him do it before we put him back in the league. I can't imagine anyone would actually draft him. (Sorry, bitter former Miller owner here).

I can't say I considered Carson Fulmer. If I were to add another one of the Sox young pitchers (in addition to Giolito), it would probably be Reynaldo Lopez over Fulmer. The problem with Fulmer is that he was pretty terrible in the majors last year, would only be eligible as a RP this year, and it isn't entirely certain that he will ever be a starter for the Sox. He'd have very little value as a reliever. I'd like to see him get his first career start under his belt before adding him to this league.

Jose De Leon was probably the last SP I left out. So I'll take another look at both him and Norris and see if I have some other guys I can drop.
Kevin
Commissioner

Postby Kevin » Sat Mar 04, 2017 10:21 pm

With the Sox releasing Brett Lawrie yesterday, I decided to make an adjustment. Lawrie is now on the drop list, where he will remain unless he is signed tomorrow by a team that figures to give him a starting spot. He was slated to move from 3B to 2B. Therefore, the replacement needs to be a 2B. I decided to go with the guy who is likely to benefit the most from Lawrie's release, Tyler Saladino. There wasn't much left to choose from at 2B, but Saladino figures to receive a lot of playing time now and actually put up pretty solid numbers for a middle infielder in limited time last year.
Kevin
Commissioner

Postby Kevin » Sun Mar 05, 2017 9:17 pm

Alright, with the draft just four days away, I'm going to make this list official. With the staring pitchers discussed earlier, I decided to add Daniel Norris instead of Zach Davies. I considered Nick's suggestion of dropping Ervin Santana, but I have an unwritten rule with starting pitchers where I try to get at least one guy from each MLB team unless a team has no decent candidates (like the Padres) and Santana is my only Twins SP. So Davies will have to wait another year to crack the roster. As for De Leon, he's an interesting player, but ultimately, I just didn't find anyone else I wanted to drop to make room for him.

Hopefully, I'll have the new players added to the available player roster page by the end of the night.
Kevin
Commissioner

Postby Mike » Mon Mar 06, 2017 3:08 pm

Those changes seem reasonable to me. Thanks, Kevin.
Mike
Major Leaguer

Return to DTBL Discussion