Potential Rule Change

This is an open forum for anything related to the Dream Team Baseball League.

Should we increase the number of free agent signings per team from 10 to 12?

YES (Make this change for the 2017 season)
25%
NO (I like things the way they are)
No votes
NO (Let's reconsider this next offseason)
75%

Total votes : 8

Potential Rule Change

Postby Kevin » Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:47 pm

In reaction to MLB changing from a 15 to 10 Day Disabled List this season, should we increase the number of free agent signings per team from 10 to 12? See my group email for more details. Please feel free to reply with your thoughts or if you wish to make a passionate case to defend your choice in hopes of swaying others. Responses needed by Sunday afternoon.
Kevin
Commissioner

Re: Potential Rule Change

Postby Mike » Thu Mar 30, 2017 2:43 pm

I'm not quite ready to vote on this yet, but I do have a question.

Would an increase in the number of free agent signings work better with an increase in the available player pool? I'm not suggesting a change to how players enter the league (no adding rookies to the free agent pool midseason or anything like that), more like having available more of the "last cut" guys that just miss out on being in the draft eligible pool before the draft begins.
Mike
Major Leaguer

Postby Kevin » Thu Mar 30, 2017 2:57 pm

Mike,

The question you have asked is a good one. In my opinion, increasing the player pool is not necessary for this specific change. There will still be the exact same number of players available at any given time with or without this change since we aren't adding any DL or minor league slots. There would be slightly more players shuffling to and from the free agent list, but the total number of available players would remain the same. If, in the future, we decide to add extra reserve slots, then a conversation about expanding the player pool would need to occur as well. But that is not on the table for this season, regardless of the outcome of this vote.
Kevin
Commissioner

Postby Greg » Thu Mar 30, 2017 5:16 pm

How does everyone feel this rule will impact fantasy baseball?

I read an article about it here: http://www.fangraphs.com/fantasy/mash-report-fantasy-implications-moving-to-the-10-day-dl/, and the author's conclusion is:

"After thinking over the changes from a 15-day to 10-day disabled list, the major impact I see is more clarity in playing time. I could see more players go on the DL, especially pitchers, but the time missed will likely be the same as the 15-day DL. Unless more details come out about the change, I don’t see the new DL rule affecting fantasy play much at all."

It seems that the way the DL would be used, it'd be similar to streaming players from our bench anyhow. And as much as I'd enjoy having an extra couple of FA moves, I'd like to see how the season plays out and then discuss different rule changes in the winter.
Greg
Minor Leaguer

Postby Kevin » Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:01 pm

Greg, I happened to read that same article yesterday when researching this topic. Dave can correct me if I'm wrong here, but I believe what prompted him to contact me about this was an ESPN article that took a far more alarmist viewpoint on the effects towards fantasy baseball. Unfortunately, it is an ESPN Insider article, so I'm unable to read it myself. But if any of you have such access, here is the link: http://www.espn.com/fantasy/baseball/in ... -10-day-dl
Kevin
Commissioner

Postby Mike » Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:45 pm

Kevin,

Thanks for your reply. I do appreciate that perspective on it.

Here's the key takeaway from that ESPN article:

"To recap: It is now easier to get placed on the DL but no more restrictive to come off of it.

The end result will be an increase in the number of players who will be placed on the DL, and likely the number of DL days overall. It is possible that we might see last year's record total eclipsed and perhaps push 35,000 days, or even more. While the shorter 10-day minimum, as opposed to 15, will reduce these numbers somewhat, the odds are against it since there is no incentive for a team to adhere to "just 10 days."

It will increase the number of players who spend time on an MLB roster, though their respective tenures could be even shorter than they have been in the past. It splinters playing-time expectations. The total of all the available plate appearances and innings will remain fixed within a narrow band -- last I checked, the season is still 162 games long -- but more players will be trying to claim a piece of that pie ... many more.

Good luck projecting playing time this year!"
Mike
Major Leaguer

Postby Kelly » Sat Apr 01, 2017 7:54 pm

It seems to me that if we're going to make any changes in conjunction with MLB disabled list considerations, we also need to change the enforcement of removing players from the DL and forcing a roster move once they are activated from the MLB DL.
Kelly
Little Leaguer

Postby Kevin » Sun Apr 02, 2017 12:20 pm

Thanks for all the feedback and votes in the poll. Obviously, two "YES" votes isn't going to be enough for me to make this change immediately. So the 10 free agent limit will remain for this season. We'll see how things play out this year and then reconsider this, and other potential rule changes, next winter. FYI, I already have big plans to completely revamp the entire transaction processing portion of this site next offseason, so that will be the ideal time to make rule changes as well. But for now, do keep in mind the new 10 day DL designation when considering your use of free agent signings throughout this season.

Happy Opening Day!
Kevin
Commissioner

Postby Mike » Mon Apr 03, 2017 1:17 pm

I think Kelly makes a very good point, too - if we do expand roster moves next year, enforcing that a player needs to come off the DL in DTBL once he's off the DL in real life would be a good move. I'm sure that I occasionally have left a guy on the DL longer than I should have to avoid making a corresponding move elsewhere in the past.
Mike
Major Leaguer

Postby Kevin » Tue Apr 04, 2017 3:07 pm

Kelly and Mike,

Ideally, yes, we would force players who are no longer injured/in minors/suspended to be activated from DL slots. However, that would be a major headache the way things currently work. As it is, you are more or less on the honor system to only put inactive players in those DL slots since I don't currently have a way of determining if a player is actually on an active MLB roster. So to enforce removal from those slots, I would definitely need to find a source for that info. Doable, I'm sure, but more work for me. I'll keep this suggestion in mind though.
Kevin
Commissioner

Return to DTBL Discussion