Roster Fix

This is an open forum for anything related to the Dream Team Baseball League.

Roster Fix

Postby Kevin » Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:10 am

As I mentioned in the email I sent the other day, while putting together the All-Star ballots, I discovered an issue with the Jackalope roster that required some attention to fix. Turns out, for almost exactly a month, the Jackalope roster was in an illegal state. There were five active 1B/3B and only four OF. This stems back to a transaction Kathleen submitted on 5/29 in which Josh Donaldson was activated along with Asdrubal Cabrera with Ian Kinsler and Ryan Braun going down. Problem was, the DH slot was already occupied by a 1B/3B, so Braun's replacement needed to be an outfielder. The transaction submission code should have caught this and not allowed it to be submitted and processed. Clearly, this is a bug. Not one I recall seeing before though. But most of the rest of you are familiar enough with the roster rules where this wouldn't have been put to the test. I take full blame for this, of course, since Kathleen understandably figured the move was legit since it was allowed to be submitted.

So the tricky decision was what to do about this. One option would have been to simply allow it to stand and have Kathleen shift the roster back to a legal state for the upcoming week. While the position rules were not being followed, at least the correct number of players were on the active roster at all times so no significant advantage was gained. However, this would have been extremely controversial if even the slightest advantage in one category or another led to a shift in the standings at the end of the season. The second option would have been to wipe out the Donaldson/Braun swap, which would have basically had the Jackalope playing a man short for the past month since Braun has remained on the DL for the entirety of this time period. This would have been a pretty rough penalty on Kathleen (and Jay) for something that was clearly my fault though.

Ultimately, I went with a third option. I decided to update the transaction to what I think would have been the logical move to make at that time while keeping a legal lineup. I added a third player swap to the 5/29 transaction: Hunter Pence up and Maikel Franco down. Pence was actually on the DL at that time too, but was activated by the Giants later that week. He was the only OF candidate on the Jackalope roster to replace Braun though. As for Franco, I think he was the clear choice among the 1B/3B to be sent down to make room for Donaldson (other options were Goldschmidt, Hosmer and Rendon). Of course, further complicating things, the Jackalope made another roster move a couple weeks later (6/18) in which Pence was activated and Stephen Piscotty was sent down. Since Pence was already up in this altered scenario, I decided to wipe out that transaction, leaving Piscotty on the major league roster for the entire season to date. In summary, here is what the Jackalope gained and lost through my adjustments:

Gained:
Hunter Pence's stats from 5/29 through 6/18 (.277, 1 HR, 8 RBI, 6 R, 0 SB)
Stephen Piscotty's stats from 6/19 through present (.250, 0 HR, 5 RBI, 6 R, 1 SB)

Lost:
Maikel Franco's stats from 5/29 through present (.236, 4 HR, 10 RBI, 9 R, 0 SB)

So the net changes to the Jackalope team totals were a slight increase in AVG, -3 HR, +3 RBI, +3 R, +1 SB. Fortunately, there wasn't a particularly significant change in any category. I will be keeping a close eye on the stats of these players over the next week or so to make sure there aren't any lingering issues.

Please let me know if you have a problem with anything I did here. Sorry for the bug that caused this and for not noticing this sooner so it could have been resolved before stats were accumulated.
Kevin
Commissioner

Return to DTBL Discussion