2018 Player Adds/Drops

This is an open forum for anything related to the Dream Team Baseball League.

2018 Player Adds/Drops

Postby Kevin » Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:56 pm

As I'm sure you are all well aware, dozens of quality players remain free agents here in the final days of February. This made my task of setting the 2018 DTBL player roster a little more difficult than usual. For now, I have elected to keep most of the unsigned free agents in the league, but may opt to drop a couple of them if they don't sign in the next week or so. But for now, here are the players I intend to add to, and drop from, the league roster. As usual, you are encouraged to provide your thoughts, particularly if you would like to make a case for a player not listed here. I hope to finalize the player roster next weekend.

One interesting note is that it appears we will have far less player turnover than usual this year, particularly among position players. And even many of the players added are former DTBL players. So it looks like there will be far fewer DTBL rookies than usual.

Catchers
Added:
Alex Avila, Austin Barnes, Tucker Barnhart, Robinson Chirinos, Francisco Mejia, Manny Pina, Chance Sisco, Kurt Suzuki, Christian Vazquez
Dropped:
Jett Bandy, Francisco Cervelli, Yan Gomes, Nick Hundley, Sandy Leon, Devin Mesoraco, Derek Norris, Andrew Susac, Tony Wolters

First Basemen
Added:
Yonder Alonso, Cody Bellinger, Ryan McMahon, Colin Moran, Logan Morrison, Matt Olson, Justin Smoak
Dropped:
Matt Adams, Chris Carter, Adrian Gonzalez, Tommy Joseph, Victor Martinez, Mitch Moreland, Mike Napoli, Steve Pearce, Kennys Vargas, Dan Vogelbach

Second Basemen
Added:
Ozzie Albies, Whit Merrifield
Dropped:
Brandon Phillips, Tyler Saladino, Ryan Schimpf, Devon Travis, Neil Walker

Third Basemen
Added:
Jeimer Candelario, Matt Chapman, J.P. Crawford, Matt Davidson, Rafael Devers, Travis Shaw
Dropped:
Jung Ho Kang, Martin Prado

Shortstops
Added:
Tim Beckham, Paul DeJong, Amed Rosario
Dropped:
Aledmys Diaz, Alcides Escobar, Danny Espinosa

Outfielders
Added:
Aaron Altherr, Lewis Brinson, Willie Calhoun, Nicky Delmonico, Delino DeShields, Derek Fisher, Dustin Fowler, Marwin Gonzalez, Ian Happ, Aaron Hicks, Rhys Hoskins, Trey Mancini, Jose Martinez, Gerardo Parra, Tommy Pham, Victor Robles, Mallex Smith, Chris Taylor, Michael Taylor, Nick Williams, Jesse Winker, Bradley Zimmer
Dropped:
Jose Bautista, Carlos Beltran, Melky Cabrera, Rajai Davis, Jacoby Ellsbury, Carlos Gonzalez, Alex Gordon, Curtis Granderson, Matt Holliday, Travis Jankowski, Howie Kendrick, Leonys Martin, Brandon Moss, Tyler Naquin, Roman Quinn, Michael Saunders, Denard Span, Andrew Toles, Yasmany Tomas, Jayson Werth

Starting Pitchers
Added:
Chase Anderson, Jose Berrios, Luis Castillo, Tyler Chatwood, Mike Clevinger, Patrick Corbin, Zach Davies, Jacob Faria, Zack Godley, Luiz Gohara, Dinelson Lamet, Mike Leake, Reynaldo Lopez, German Marquez, Jordan Montgomery, Charlie Morton, Joe Musgrove, Jimmy Nelson, Brad Peacock, Eduardo Rodriguez, Hyun-Jin Ryu, Luis Severino, Dan Straily, Luke Weaver, Alex Wood
Dropped:
Tyler Anderson, Wie-Yin Chen, Jharel Cotton, Anthony DeSclafani, Tyler Glasnow, Junior Guerra, Jason Hammel, Jeremy Hellickson, Hisashi Iwakuma, Ian Kennedy, John Lackey, Francisco Liriano, Steven Matz, Collin McHugh, Matt Moore, Daniel Norris, Ivan Nova, Michael Pineda, Joe Ross, Tyson Ross, Tyler Skaggs, Drew Smyly, Vince Velasquez, Adam Wainwright, Jordan Zimmermann

Relief Pitchers
Added:
Brad Boxberger, Archie Bradley, Alex Claudio, Chris Devenski, Mychal Givens, Chad Green, Shane Greene, Josh Hader, Brad Hand, Tommy Kahnle, Keone Kela, Dominic Leone, Tyler Lyons, Juan Minaya, Mike Minor, A.J. Minter, Brandon Morrow, Pat Neshek, Blake Parker, Yusmeiro Petit, Jose Ramirez, Alex Reyes, Felipe Rivero, Joakim Soria, Drew Steckenrider, Pedro Strop, Anthony Swarzak, Kirby Yates
Dropped:
Joaquin Benoit, Mauricio Cabrera, Carter Capps, Santiago Casilla, Tony Cingrani, Steve Cishek, Tyler Clippard, Grant Dayton, Ryan Dull, Neftali Feliz, Jeanmar Gomez, Daniel Hudson, Jeremy Jeffress, Jim Johnson, Shawn Kelley, Adam Ottavino, Glen Perkins, David Phelps, Francisco Rodriguez, Hector Rondon, Trevor Rosenthal, Drew Storen, Matt Strahm, Huston Street, Hunter Strickland, Tyler Thornburg, Koji Uehara, Tony Watson
Kevin
Commissioner

Re: 2018 Player Adds/Drops

Postby Nick » Tue Feb 27, 2018 8:56 pm

Hi Kevin,

Thanks for posting the list. I'm sure you're waiting for this question... but any chance we can add Ohtani? Since he has pro experience in Japan already and is expected to make an immediate impact, I think he's worth adding. The list looks great overall. I won't ask to add Daniel Norris this year.
Nick
Major Leaguer

Postby Kevin » Wed Feb 28, 2018 2:10 pm

Nick,

Ohtani is obviously a very interesting player... one I'm very much looking forward to watching this year. However, his situation isn't truly unprecedented as far as this league is concerned. Off the top of my head, Ichiro, Dice-K and Darvish are three other Japanese league imports who were highly touted and expected to make an immediate impact in MLB. And in none of those cases did we add them to the DTBL roster prior to their MLB debuts. I prefer to stick with the league rule that a player is not eligible for this league until the season following his MLB debut. The intent of the rule is to make sure we have a handful of high impact players entering the league each season, to offset the fact that this is such a deep keeper league. So I don't think I'm going to make an exception for Ohtani.

I'm actually happy about this because it will give us a full year to figure out how to deal with him from a position eligibility standpoint if it turns out he is a legitimate impact player both offensively and on the mound. Now THAT would make him an unprecedented player. But that is a bridge we don't have to cross until next year.
Kevin
Commissioner

Postby Kevin » Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:04 pm

By my count, there remain 10 players who are unsigned MLB free agents but are slated to be on the DTBL roster for 2018. With the draft scheduled to begin this Thursday, I need to make final decisions on whether or not these players will remain in the league. I intend to post the full list of draft eligible players tomorrow (Monday) evening. Therefore, I am making that the defacto deadline. Here is where I'm leaning on each of the unsigned players:

Jonathan LuCroy, Mike Moustakas and Jake Arrieta were all kept by their respective DTBL teams, so they definitely will not be replaced.

Besides Arrieta, there are three other unsigned pitchers who I believe possess enough value to keep them in the league. Eventually, someone will sign them. So I'm not planning on replacing these guys: Alex Cobb, Lance Lynn and Greg Holland.

Finally, there are four hitters who I plan to replace if they don't sign with a MLB team by tomorrow evening: Neil Walker, Jose Bautista, Melky Cabrera and Carlos Gonzalez. I don't think any of them are valuable enough to waste a spot while we wait to see if someone actually signs them. Walker and CarGo are interesting, but are easily replaceable. I haven't even heard rumors regarding Bautista or Cabrera.

I'll post the replacements for those four players in this thread tomorrow evening, but it is looking like a few guys from the drop list will be spared. I don't really have many/any other new guys that I'm strongly considering.
Kevin
Commissioner

Postby Kevin » Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:07 pm

The following edits were made to the original post in this thread: Neil Walker, Jose Bautista, Melky Cabrera and Carlos Gonzalez will now be dropped from the league for 2018. Logan Forsythe, Nick Markakis and Jorge Soler will be retained. And Gerardo Parra will be added after a one year hiatus. None of these guys are terribly exciting, but at least all are projected to receive regular playing time.

The official draft roster will be posted very shortly.

EDIT: I decided to make one more last minute change. Alex Reyes is recovering from Tommy John surgery and did not pitch in 2017. Therefore, his position eligibility is based on the 2016 season, when he made appearances as both a starter and reliever. In those situations, I usually determine the starter/reliever designation based upon where they are expected to appear in the upcoming season. When unsure, I tend to lean towards SP in an effort to minimize the number of RPs in the league who are actually starters. It is still unclear what role Reyes will fill when he returns to action in May or so. But there are some rumblings that he will initially be put in the bullpen, possibly even as the closer since the Cards don't have a clear leader for that spot right now. It would be kind of a waste to have a closer in a SP slot. So I think I'm going to go ahead and add Reyes as a RP instead. His replacement at SP will be Mike Leake and Adam Ottavino will be dropped.
Kevin
Commissioner

Return to DTBL Discussion