1st place blues and other news..

This is an open forum for anything related to the Dream Team Baseball League.

1st place blues and other news..

Postby Dom » Sun Apr 06, 2003 10:00 pm

This daily update of stats is awesome -- especially when for all but 1 day your team is in first place -- none of the rest of you know how that feels, but take my word for it, it is pretty nice. You're all probably thinking right now, "what a cocky bastard -- that first week isn't even over yet." That is very true -- I am a cocky bastard. However, I don't have success very often like some people (cough cough kev) so I when I have the rare occasion to gloat, I don't hesitate to take advantage of it. That being said, 1st place does have it's disadvantages. Just today I was interested in signing a crafty veteran reliever, but was immediately informed by the automated website that the Darkhorses also made a claim to the crafty veteran. I did some quick math and realized that it was very unlikely that by tomorrow morning, David would be ahead of me. Woe is me. That reminds me -- I love the convenience and ease of this new system, but it's lost a lot of the personal touch. Now I just get this automated message when I screw up my transactions or try to trick Kev into letting me acquire 4 players while only releasing 3. In the past I would get a nice friendly email from Kev telling me that I screwed up again. Those emails made me feel warm and fuzzy inside -- I relished in the human contact. I'm sorry to say, but the DTBL has lost it's lovin' feeling. It's gone gone gone.
Dom
Little Leaguer

You are a cocky bastard

Postby Marc » Mon Apr 07, 2003 11:53 am

Well my team's in last place, so I have the feeling of seeing my team drop in the standings each day until they've got no further to go. :evil: :twisted: These are some pretty cool icons, i hope it shows them and doesn't just say "evil" and "twisted." I got to visit Louisiana and Texas for the first time a couple days ago -- not as sweet as I would've thought. I went on the road with Peoria's arenafootball2 team (yes, there really is such a league). The bus was cramped and it took about 14 hours to get down to Shreveport. So to top off the trip, I check the standings today to see I'm in last freakin' place. I think I may have acquired said crafty veteran reliever, Dom, sorry about that. No. I'm not sorry, you're in first place. :x OK, I'm spend, KEvin I'm on the board....Oh, the dtbl has not lost it's loving feeling. It's more interactive, beotch.
Marc
Major Leaguer

Postby Jay » Tue Apr 08, 2003 12:13 am

Yeah, so I was sitting here in rainy Florida thinking to myself, I wonder how I can better the DTBL before I get some sleep. Realizing the brilliance of a bulletin board, I decided to add some rants to my addition to our humble treasure trove of syllabic virtuosity. Yes, I was a fine arts major, screw you for judging me. First off, looking back on my first pick this year, I agree that there might have been better players available at the time. Ken Griffey Jr. was picked next by Kevin. Yet, for my team, the spot that needed filling was in relief pitching, and other than Octavio Dotel, Arty Rhodes is the best setup man in the bigs. So, who would you rather have, him or Grif? Secondly, I want to make some comments on the draft this year, in an overall glance. Do I think I picked the Rookie Of The Year (for the 4th straight year, mind you)? Hell no! With Prior in the DTBL, he should be a consensus pre/early/whatever season pick at that. However, after him...unless you did a lot of research (which I will admit I didn't compared to past years), the picks got a bit sneaky. I mean, with Glaus, Berkman, and Pujols as my last 3 ROY's, I just needed to let go. :twisted: Not sure what you guys think, just wanted to toss something to the wolves. Finally, I just want to say that like a fine wine, the DTBL has undergone one heck of a transformation. I still remember my first year, picking teams in Kevin's basement, and awaiting print-outs at lunch to see how my team was doing. Yes, normally my team sucked, but even Kevin didn't always win everything. So do I think it's lost it's loving feeling? And being a person who has sang that song, in uniform, in the very same O-Club in Miramar, California, I must say that it has done nothing of the sorts. Like Sheryl Crow, Madonna, and the Olsen Twins, it has matured very nicely. And don't ask how many days until they are legal. Only Greg and Charlie know.
Jay
Little Leaguer

Postby Kevin » Tue Apr 08, 2003 12:16 am

Dom, looks like you are the only one who thinks the DTBL "has lost its lovin' feelin'." :D By the way, if you are wondering why it says "little leaguer" under your name, that is because of "ranks" that I defined in the admin page. Every 20 posts, you move up to a new level. I guess this encourages you to post often, although I don't imagine most of you care much about that (nor should you).
Kevin
Commissioner

Return to DTBL Discussion