Moving Mavericks

This forum can be used to initiate trade talks. Post players you are looking to deal, or let everyone know what spots you are looking to fill.

Moving Mavericks

Postby Marc » Tue Jul 29, 2003 10:19 pm

Here's some players I'd be willing to deal Larry Walker - not having a great year, by his or a Rockies' hitter's standards, but still a solid player with a few more years left Damian Moss - pitches for baseball's hottest team and has 9 wins Armando Benitez - yeah he's a set-up man for Rivera now, but he'll close next year Joe Crede - up-and-coming young hitter as most of you know I also think it may be a good idea to allow next year's draft picks to be traded to help encourage trades by teams out of contention, and maybe it would open up more trading in this league where it seems deals are made only when someone thinks they're ripping off someone else.
Marc
Major Leaguer

Postby Kevin » Tue Jul 29, 2003 11:22 pm

I would like to get some more feedback on the issue Marc raised. We most likely would not implement this potential rule change this season (unless there is overwhelming support for it), however I am certainly willing to hear your thoughts. We actually used to allow the next season's draft picks to be traded. The main reason that rule was changed was because I had no guarantee that a team trading their future draft picks would actually still be in the league by the time the draft rolled around. Since the current group of owners has been quite stable in recent years, I am willing to reconsider this. The input I need to receive is twofold. First, do you think allowing future draft picks to be traded is a good idea and would be a nice addition to the league? Second, do you personally plan on staying in this league for quite some time to come? On the second note, I'm hopefully that we can keep this group of ten together for a long, long time. However, I realize that interests can change over time. I'd like to hear thoughts on this topic from as many of you as possible. I'm also always looking for ways to make this league more interesting for all of you. Your input is always appreciated.
Kevin
Commissioner

Draft picks

Postby Nick » Wed Jul 30, 2003 5:34 pm

I think having the luxury of trading future picks would boost the trading climate of the league. I have found it to be next to impossible to make trades, mainly because teams usually don't have enough depth to trade anyone of any value. The teams that are out of it sometimes lose interest and arent going to make deals for the sake of helping contending teams, who in turn can't risk giving up a good player. Future picks would then add depth and make trading more feasible, as well as more interesting. I have enjoyed my time in the league thus far and although I will be moving to Los Angeles soon, I'll have plenty of time to keep my team going. I look forward to many future seasons and my first title. And how come no offers for Beltre? Next year he could break out. Nick's Naturals
Nick
Major Leaguer

Trade Stuff

Postby Jay » Thu Jul 31, 2003 1:34 pm

Well, first of all, the draft pick idea is a good one...I think it should definitely help out some teams that need the help. But one thing that I know has helped me in the past, and some other teams, is knowing that as the season wears down, the new players next year will be available to pick. In the past, I relied on having one of the first picks so that I'll have a great player (see Lance Berkman and Albert Pujols) who is young and will produce, helping the team. On this line of thought, I know I would be hesitant to deal away a potential all-star for years to come to help the immediate team's cause. But that's just me... On the other note, I plan on staying in the league as long as possible. I know that this time next year I'll either be flying helicopters (and probably winged) or in Mississippi learning to fly jets, and the year after I'll be out in the real world...but I'll try my best, even if it means giving up temporary control of the team to Kevin...which now that I think about it would probably help me a lot. Hmmmm....
Jay
Little Leaguer

Return to Trading Block