Trade search and other stuff

Post any thoughts you have on how we can improve this league. Give suggestions for rule changes or mention any ideas you have to improve the web site.

Trade search and other stuff

Postby Nick » Tue Feb 22, 2011 2:46 am

Hey Kevin,

This is unrelated to this post. Just had a couple of questions about the site. I was actually going to make a post in the "comments/suggestions" area about adding something to the site where we can look up old trades from the previous year(s)... I don't know about others, but I couldn't remember what draft picks I traded last year or what picks other teams traded away and didn't have a place where I could find that information. This may be because the news forum was somewhat disabled last year and there weren't as many posts to document the trades as they happened. Also it doesn't look like we have the ability to write our own posts anymore... will that be restored at some point or am I missing the place to do this?

Nick
Nick
Major Leaguer

Re: Trade search and other stuff

Postby Kevin » Tue Feb 22, 2011 2:20 pm

Nick,

First, I decided to split your post into a separate thread just as you said you were thinking about doing. If for no other reason, the "comments/suggestions" forum needs some love.

These are very good suggestions. One thing I absolutely need to fix is the inability to include draft picks in trades you offer/submit via the web site. I think once I change that, it will take care of your general concern because you will easily be able to see what draft picks you have dealt or acquired just by searching your team's transactions (I know this needs to be fixed too). Short term, once I get this year's draft page set up, you will be able to see which draft picks you possess. I should have that ready to go sometime next week.

As for the DTBL News blog, you are correct that you don't currently have the ability to create new entries. However, that is about to change. I've already installed a WordPress and phpBB mod which allows me to tie the user configuration of each system together. But I still have some administrative work to do before you will be able to create blog posts.

Once I get the revised main page up and running, it should be a lot easier to navigate through the blog and forums. Initially, I was planning on deploying a brand new web site all at once, but since I'm so dreadfully behind on that project, I might just add pieces individually as I get them done. The main page will be the first thing that changes and it will definitely be done before Opening Day. One problem I recently discovered is that my new menu system is not mobile/smartphone friendly. I'll need to change that, or make a separate mobile version, before I replace the existing main page.

To sum it up: I have a lot of work to do over the next month or so. Thanks for the comments.
Kevin
Commissioner

Return to Comments & Suggestions