League Alerts

Post any thoughts you have on how we can improve this league. Give suggestions for rule changes or mention any ideas you have to improve the web site.

League Alerts

Postby Kevin » Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:52 pm

This afternoon, Marc and I were swapping ideas on Twitter and e-mail about possible site enhancements, particularly when it comes to tracking the draft for those of us who are a tad compulsive about it and find ourselves constantly checking this web site during the draft. I decided it would be worthwhile to bring our discussion to this forum in case others have their own ideas or would like to join the conversation.

It started with Marc suggesting that an automated email message be sent to the DTBL mailing list after each draft pick. The reasoning behind this would be so that everyone could keep track of the progress of the draft without having to continually hit the web site and/or refresh the draft page. Personally, I like the idea, but was concerned that some of you might not be so keen on having your email in-boxes bombarded with DTBL messages.

My counter proposal was to use Twitter to do this instead. In fact, this seems like the kind of thing that belongs on Twitter. I could easily write some code that would automatically generate a tweet from my account each time a pick is submitted. But the problem there is that this would only be useful to those of you who follow me on Twitter, and maybe not even those people if they don't routinely check their feeds. So, I have since decided I don't think this is a worthwhile approach since so few of our league members are Twitter addicts.

Next, Marc went back to the mailing list idea, but suggested that we set up a new mailing list, separate from our full league list, for which each person could choose whether or not they wish to join. Each time a pick is made, an email would be sent to this new list with the pick information. Adding onto Marc's idea, I thought maybe this list could be used for other league alerts, besides draft picks. Perhaps the weekly transaction processing program could generate an email containing the transactions for the week. I could send messages to the list when new DTBL News articles are posted. Stuff like that. Basically, this list would be for any sort of league alert. Would you be interested in joining this list? Do you think it would be wise to separate this from our existing league-wide list?

Finally, one other thing that I could do to improve the draft tracking process is to make the draft page dynamic. If I were to do this, all you would have to do is keep a browser tab open on the draft page and it would update automatically (no need to refresh). This is actually something I want to do with the live stats pages as well, but just haven't gotten around to it. In fact, I think I will make this enhancement to the draft page at some point, but I don't know if it will be ready until we are well into this year's draft.

Any thoughts? Other ideas?
Kevin
Commissioner

Re: League Alerts

Postby Marc » Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:35 am

Well, I like the idea of receiving an email when there is league activity. This may increase participation in message board conversations and perhaps trades. I would prefer to get a notification pop-up on my phone when a pick is made / transactions are processed / something is posted on the message board, rather than checking the site to see if anything did happen.

One of my leagues started sending out these emails for just about everything this offseason. I enjoyed getting news about the league at random times, and I didn't think it was email overload. I actually enjoyed seeing I had a message at 3 am - gave me something to read after getting the baby back to sleep
Marc
Major Leaguer

Postby Kevin » Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:20 am

Marc, your reply sparked another idea for me. FYI, this message board software already has a built in notification system. If you want to be notified any time a new message is posted, all you have to do is click on the forum name (e.g. DTBL Discussion), go down to the bottom of the page, and click on the "Subscribe forum" link. I think it is a little confusing/misleading, because the check box that appears next to that link gives off the impression that you are already subscribed. But that is probably not the case. After you subscribe, the link changes to "unsubscribe". This same option is available if you wish to subscribe to specific threads. Forum and thread subscriptions can be managed in the User Control Panel (above).

So on that theme, perhaps I could create a new sub-forum titled something like "League Activity & Alerts". I could write code to automatically generate new messages for this forum when any of the previously mentioned activities occur. Then, if you so choose, you could subscribe to the new forum and receive emails any time a new post is generated.

I really think this is the best option we've mentioned so far because it is already part of this phpBB software anyway and it gives each person full control over what they do and do not wish to be notified about. I definitely think we are under-utilizing this very powerful software package. This could be a step in the right direction.

EDIT: Oops... I just ran a test and found that feature doesn't appear to be working. I think I need to fix the board's e-mail settings. I will provide an update after I have a chance to investigate this evening.

UPDATE: Okay, the reason why I didn't get the notification earlier is because you don't receive notices about your own posts (which makes sense, come to think of it). So the forum/thread subscriptions do work. Only problem is the notices that are sent only contain links to the new posts, not their contents. Maybe not what you were looking for, but possibly better than nothing?
Kevin
Commissioner

Postby Marc » Sun Mar 09, 2014 11:04 am

perhaps I am the only one interested in these email updates
Marc
Major Leaguer

Postby Nick » Sun Mar 09, 2014 1:50 pm

Seriously Marc, get a life already... I would not mind an alert for when trades happen, as I think I missed the Profar deal last year (sometimes they get lumped in with other weekly transactions and can be overlooked). I'm also okay with emails after each draft pick, though I'd still check the site to look at the players available, rosters, etc. But it's a good option for anyone who is away from a computer and still wants to follow the picks.

On a side note, anyone else order MLB.TV this year? I got it for the first time so I could watch all 100 of Hamilton's steals.
Nick
Major Leaguer

Postby Mike » Sun Mar 09, 2014 3:25 pm

I think I'd be okay with emails within reason. An email after every pick is a bit much; I'd rather just check the website for that. A weekly transaction email would be okay, but I'd rather just look at the website for it, so I don't have a strong opinion about it. But occasional emails about accepted trades, or an update email after every round of the draft wouldn't be a bad thing at all.
Mike
Major Leaguer

Postby Kevin » Sun Mar 09, 2014 3:56 pm

Nick, I've been a MLB.TV subscriber for 4 or 5 years now... ever since they threatened to make MLB Extra Innings DirecTV exclusive. There is no way I'll ever go back. MLB.TV is the best $130 I spend every year (I buy the premium version so I can watch games on my phone too). I get my money's worth out of it in the first couple weeks of the season.

As for the original purpose of this thread, it's looking unlikely I'm going to be making any changes before this year's draft ends. I didn't have as much free time as I expected this weekend and then I'm going to be out of town next weekend. Keep the site enhancement ideas coming though (as well as your thoughts on the current topic). I do have a few things planned for the new season.
Kevin
Commissioner

Postby Greg » Sun Mar 09, 2014 4:15 pm

I wouldn't mind receiving e-mails for major transactions (trades, messageboard topics). I think automatically getting one after every pick might be a bit excessive, but I'm in the habit of checking the site a few times a day to see how things are progressing.

I think a subscriber based thread or service would be great. So if you wanted the alerts, you could sign up, and if not then you're under no obligation to receive unwanted e-mails.

RE MLB.TV: I bought it last year, but didn't watch it nearly as often as I thought I would (I just don't have the time), so I cancelled it this year. It's a great service though, especially being able to stream the games on your phone.
Greg
Minor Leaguer

Postby Kevin » Wed Mar 12, 2014 4:38 pm

Mike, I like your new avatar! It's a damn shame Kelly stole Chris Archer from you though.

Since I'm replying in this thread anyway, I previously forgot mention one cool feature of MLB.TV. It has a player tracker which allows you to pick up to 30 players for whom you will be notified when they are coming up to bat (starting when they are in the hole) or when they take the mound to pitch. So you can put your whole DTBL roster in there and be notified any time one of them is about to see action, allowing you to quickly switch games to see it if you so choose. FYI, this feature is only available on the PC web version, not the PS/XBox/tablet/phone versions... at least as of last year.

I swear I'm not a paid spokesman for MLB.TV, but I might as well be.
Kevin
Commissioner

Postby Greg » Wed Mar 12, 2014 6:18 pm

I used that feature almost religiously when I did watch MLB.TV last year. It also let's you quickly view the stats for your 30 players, iirc, which was a nice little addition.

For those of you who like Archer, if you haven't checked it out already, find some Frisky Dingo episodes to watch. It was the series the same guys created on CN's Adult Swim before they started into the Archer series for FX. Absolutely hilarious.
Greg
Minor Leaguer

Postby Nick » Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:23 pm

Kevin -- I did not know about that feature but will try it out for sure. Greg -- I'm getting rid of my cable so I figure I'll have more reason to watch it this year, but in the past, I'm with you, I feared I'd grow bored and not use it.

Also, can't believe no one (especially Marc) responded to my Billy Hamilton 100 steals comment. Come on Marc I lobbed you a softball... you should have said: "Nick, I didn't know MLB.tv shows Triple-A games".

Well, hope everyone has a great year. Also, Howie is home!
Nick
Major Leaguer

Postby Kevin » Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:54 pm

Haha... well, since you mentioned it, I think they do offer a MILB.TV add-on which allows you to watch every AAA game and a handful of lower level games as well. Can't say I've ever purchased that though. But that way you wouldn't miss any Billy Hamilton steals this year! I think Jay may have used it last year to keep an eye on Danny Espinosa (sorry Jay... couldn't resist).
Kevin
Commissioner

Postby Marc » Thu Mar 13, 2014 12:31 pm

I stopped getting notifications that something was posted - maybe you just get the notice once.

Nick, I guess I don't think your prediction is all that crazy. I doubt it will happen, but it would be cool to see.

Which number will be greater - Hamilton's SBs or Taijuan Walker's IP? I just couldn't help myself taking him there. I knew Nate Jones was the better pick, but I just didn't care.

Kevin, you should get a job promoting MLB.TV. I think you have me sold!

Has there ever been as many impact DTBL rookies from one team as what the Cardinals brought this year?
Marc
Major Leaguer

Postby Kevin » Thu Mar 13, 2014 1:14 pm

Marc, I think the way it works is that you only receive the notice once between visits to the board. So you will probably receive a notice about this reply I'm posting now, but not the next reply unless you log in and view the board in between. This is the default phpbb notification setup, and unfortunately it is not configurable. However, I did find a phpbb mod which makes it configurable and also allows for the body of messages to be sent in the emails. I think I will download and install that mod and give it a shot. But this probably isn't going to happen until after the draft. I will keep you posted though.
Kevin
Commissioner

Postby Greg » Thu Mar 13, 2014 1:36 pm

Marc: Another cool feature about MLB.TV is the ability to watch a 15 minute recap of any game. They take out all the in-between-pitch shenanigans and condense it down to the last few pitches of each at-bat for every inning. It's an incredibly nice feature if you want to watch as many games as you can and don't have time to sit through 45 hours of baseball every day.
Greg
Minor Leaguer

Next

Return to Comments & Suggestions